Pages

Monday, December 7, 2009

" Tokonoma " Japanese lifestyle




    Tokonoma, also referred to simply as toko, is a Japanese term generally referring to a built-in recessed space in a Japanese style reception room, in which items for artistic appreciation are displayed. In English, tokonoma is usually called alcove.

   One big pillar takes tokonoma. This is called daikoku-bashira. It is a meaning called a pillar supporting a house.





    The items usually displayed in a tokonoma are calligraphic and/or pictorial scrolls and an arrangement of flowers.

   It costs expense to make a show window, a big pillar. Therefore there become few houses having tokonoma.

9 comments:

  1. Artistic appreciation displays are an excellent idea and to be honest that made me to desire something similar! When I have more space (after kids are gone after 15 years :-)) I will have some kind of tokonoma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand it costs a lot but it's very beautiful. Shadows theater all days long with the sun...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muchas curiosidades guarda vuestra cultura...muy bonito.

    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..thanks for sharing this insight with the wonderful photos- I will try to keep it in mind. Very classy looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know what you called it but I do remember pillars in homes and alcoves too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I a very nice job of the artist
    Is that tokonoma made of glass? I beg your pardon I thought it was papper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Encantadoras fotos las tuyas.

    Saludos y un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the CHinese tradition especially their interior design.

    Laby[White Suit]

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for following my blog,
and enjoying precious time with me.